How to Get Your Truck Ready for Off Road Driving
Looking to hit the trails around The Woodlands or Magnolia? If so, there are a few common-sense steps you should take to get your pickup truck ready for off-road driving.
Off-Road Preparation Checklist
- Check Your Ground Clearance. A low-riding vehicle can get caught on obstacles like rocks and brush, which lead to some serious damage in tough driving conditions.
- Add Protection. If you’re planning to hit rocky terrain or other extreme off-road destinations, you should consider getting skid plates for the truck’s underside to protect the fuel tank and transfer case.
- Get the Right Tires. Tires designed for paved roads aren’t necessarily what you need for mud, gravel, sand, and loose soil. Off-road tires will be larger and designed to keep you moving in rough conditions. Be sure you have the right tires. After you’ve got the right tire, be sure to take care of them.
- Consider 4WD. Traditional two-wheel-drive vehicles will be fine on most roads, but if you’re planning on serious off-roading you’ll want to be sure that your truck is equipped with a four-wheel-drive system. Not only will this help you navigate tough terrain easier, but it can help you avoid getting stuck, too.
- Lower Your Tire Pressure. When you’re planning on going off the beaten path, slightly deflating your tires can be a big help. Why? Because it allows more of the tires’ rubber to connect with the ground, which improves traction.
- Carry Emergency Supplies. Don’t get caught off guard if something breaks when you’re far from the road! Be sure you’ve got supplies like extra fuel, water, basic tools, and an air compressor.
- Know What Your Truck Can Do. Know your vehicle’s limits. Take a few test runs in controlled conditions before you hit the truly rugged territory. Work your way up and be sure that your truck can handle what you’re going to put it through.
Get Your Off-Road-Ready Truck at Gullo Ford of Conroe
Ready to hit the trail? Check out the trucks for sale at Gullo Ford of Conroe and take a test drive! Contact us or make the trip from Spring to see what we have in stock and discuss what you need to do to make your off-road dreams into a reality.
More From Gullo Ford of Conroe
If you’re looking to upgrade your vehicle, there is no better time than now. At Gullo Ford of Conroe, we’re running the Great American Sales Event and you’ll find low low prices on all your Ford favorites. From extra horsepower to an extended cab, no matter what your needs, we’ll have a vehicle to fit….
We’re excited to share that we were awarded the prestigious Pinnacle Award for 2019! The Better Business Bureau uses the BBB Awards for Excellence as a way to recognize local non-profits and businesses who are committed to excellence in their workplace. These awards have been given out to the best of the best for the…
With summer just around the corner it’s time to start planning a getaway. Take the tarp off the boat so it’s ready for the water, dust off the RV and get ready to cruise. When it comes to summer towing there are a few best practices to make sure your car and your gear arrive…